Thursday, November 29, 2012

UAE National Day

Today my school celebrated the United Arab Emirates 41st National Day. Of the closest thing to that in the US is July 4th. I was reminded while talking to people today, the UAE didn't fight for independence, they are celebrating forming a union. At any rate it was a great day of experiencing UAE culture in action. I learned a lot today, at least in cultural sense. I had a chance to taste several different local foods, and see several different cultural traditions in practice.
Funny thing also, some of my students were caught alone on the park benches around campus and were totally different humans when they were alone. I talked to one for at least 30 minutes. Talked about culture and comparisons to the US. He also asked me, the one with lots of experience being single, for dating advice. He told me he was interested in his cousin. That was time for me to explain the meaning of the English word "taboo." Which at first was hard to explain, but I tried to liken it to Muslims eating Pork. No written law, but it's strictly forbidden.
Hard for me to believe that this sand box has only been a country for 41 years! I come from a place where our independence is so old that it's just understood. These people honor their leaders and believe they created everything that is the UAE. The student I mentioned above explained to me that they have the following hierarchy of honor: Allah - Muslim God of course, Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan - President and ruler of Abu Duabi (capital), Sheik Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum - Vice President and ruler of Dubai (largest city), and then his parents, lastly other authority such as teachers. That was really eye opening to me. I explained while we generally respect our President we do not worship him (well most of us anyway). Great exchange, I've been wanting that for a long time. Straight from the mouth of a 15 year young Muslim boy.

The pictures will explain a lot of what I saw today as well:















































In addition to all the fun at school the entire city is covered in red, green, white and black. One can not travel any where in the city and not see the national colors. My apartment complex area is covered in lights on the way in and out. Most of the palms are adorned in Christmas type lights. There flags everywhere. It's amazing how much this country clings to their identity.

Oh and I get a four day weekend out of the deal! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment