Friday, August 24, 2012

Day 3 and into Day 4


August 23: Woke up today at 10:30 after a fairly good night’s sleep. Still was woken up yet again by the loud music down stairs in the three night clubs. This is the best night though, not up all night as usual. Today I was getting cabin fever, so I took the plunge and looked into getting a rental car. I got two different stories from Diamond Lease (cheapest I could find), one said I needed a UAE license the other said that as long as my passport said I was visitor I could rent a car no problem. Once I confirmed the later, I got a taxi to the rental car company and I finally am free from the hotel! The car is small and slow, but at least I can get away from the hotel now. Not cheap, it was AED 1550/mo plus AED 1000 deposit. That’s $422 USD and $272 USD deposit. So we’ll see if I can find a used to car to buy in the near future, renting is expensive. Although I don’t need to worry about maintenance or insurance when renting. So once I was free I got the GPS out and quickly commenced geocaching. Caching here in the UAE is so far is very similar to urban caching back home. Mostly small caches in urban hide locations. On the way home I noticed that I started noticing the same streets, so that’s helpful. Maybe I’ll start to learn the local road ways and the expressways soon. Home at 7:00pm and ready to crash. Tomorrow I may explore Dubai and try to find a church. Friday is church day.












August 24: Got up at 9:30 on Friday the first day of the weekend. It’s too late to make it to church plus with no internet I have no idea where it is. I may explore the library today; it’s not far from the hotel. Maybe they have free Wi-Fi and I won’t have to pay this ridiculous rate for internet. 
Drove by the library today, it's only half a mile from the hotel. They were closed, it is the Arab weekend but heck our libraries are open on the weekend. I'll have to investigate their website the sign out front said something about Friday and Saturday, but it was too weathered to read. Checked online they are not open on the weekends. It's AED 50 to join the library for 5 years! 

Oh and today I had the pleasure of filling up the gas for the first time. After conversions from AED to USD and liters to gallons I discovered that I paid $1.77/gal!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment