Sunday, August 26, 2012

Day 5


August 25: Well today I did pretty much nothing. Very lazy day. It’s our “Sunday”. I did drive up to the laundry mat near the hotel to see how this works here. I learned that they actually go through and charge you for each individual piece! He counted through my small bag, only 4 days’ worth of clothes. He quoted me AED 60, $16.35 USD! I promptly told him that was too much, and he said how about AED 55? I said no, that’s still way to high. So I ended up putting together a “red neck” laundry plan. I went to the supermarket down the street and bought a small box of soap, and washed my clothes in the bath tub. Next issue is drying, that’s the hard part. You’d think in the desert that wouldn’t be a problem, but with little access to the desert air from inside my hotel room that’s not really an option. So I ended up hanging my stuff all over the place. I also hung two pieces at a time out the window on belts and hangers I had brought with me. So during the day I was able to dry a few items because there was a breeze at night though there isn’t as much of a breeze. I’ll leave the last two pairs of shorts out overnight; I’m high enough that no one can bother them outside. I think the humidity in my room is messing with the AC though; it refuses to get cold in here. I mean it’s not too bad, but a degree or two more would be nice. Allison stopped by to see if I had heard anything from the school, but nothing here. So she called the lady we met up with the other day, and she is going to pick us up from the hotel tomorrow and take us to the school. I have no idea what we’re in for, but it’s supposed to be day one. I hope we get a sense for the curriculum soon, and I find out what I’m teaching exactly. Can’t really plan ahead without knowing what’s going on. Not that I’d ever write a lesson plan, but I at least want a calendar. 

Sitting here bored with nothing to do except play computer games, listen to music or watch the English language rerun channel. I did read more of Kite Runner, kind of a confusing book. Although the guilt one child can hold on to is immense.

No comments:

Post a Comment