Friday, August 31, 2012

As of 8/31

Not too much to write about but a little...

The last two days of work were pretty good, the professional development was good, especially the technology session. In light of the rumor all the students will have ipads, it was good to get a lot of electronic resources. I spent part of the day working on my "annual plan" for grade 6 math. The entire plan is my responsibility and they want it done by Monday. Needless to say, I will have some work to do this weekend. Which is good, I could use a little down time from being tourist and driving.
On the housing front, we all had a meeting with the assistant principal and they are thinking of getting us two bed room apartments, fully furnished and with appliances included. While this isn't the perfect situation it's pretty good. My room mate is a very quiet guy from the UK, originally from Africa with kids back in Gonna. I think he will be very responsible. I also don't plan to stick around much, so housing won't be to big of deal.
Last night we started what we hope will continue for a while, end of the week dinner out with co-workers. Allison suggested a steak house, it happened to be right by the hotel so we went. Walking in it felt expensive, I for sure was very under dressed. My meal was steak, with 3 vegies and a side salad. I also had a margarita and fresh ice tea. Total was $87 USD! I've never paid that much for a dinner, but it's Dubai it's a certain right of passage to spend a ton on something like that. After words I finally went and met up with another teacher from the school who had agreed to do my laundry for me. I found out her "assistant/nanny" did it for me. Either way they were nicely folder in a bag for me to take back to the hotel, no charge! Very nice! Since we met at the mall (surprise there!) I stopped in Carrefour to get some more chocolate and juice, went there looking for a middle east adapter for my laptop.
Today I finally drove all the way to the one church I want to check out. It's supposed to be related to my church back in Houston. Kind of weird to go into a hotel for a church service, but it was fairly nice. I didn't get up in time for the early service so I went to the 11:00am service. When I got there it was busy, I got a seat pretty early on. By the time the band was ready, the place was packed. They ended up having over flow seating and sending people away. They need a bigger location! Great message and music, but it is 25 minutes away from the hotel. I wonder if it will be closer to the apartment we are getting.
After that I broke out the GPS and grabbed a few caches in the area.
Next, I was very close to the coast so I went and checked out the Palm Jermira. That's the artificial palm tree island that Dubai built about 10 years ago. It's huge! At the very top of the island is the Atlantis Hotel. It to is huge, of course every room has an awesome sea view. I did a lot of driving today, kind of wore me out.
I think tomorrow I'm going to the gym and do my first Dubai yoga class!



 This is where I went to church today. 
More interesting architecture.



 Interesting place for this sign, it's on the road leading to Skydive Dubai, barely anyone will ever see it. There was a geocache there that's the only reason I was there.

 View of a small part of the sky line.
 American flag in the heart of Dubai?
 Approaching Atlantis
 On the top of the palm looking out at the sea...
  On the top of the palm looking out at the sea...
  On the top of the palm looking out at the sea...
 Atlantis Hotel
 Atlantis Hotel
 Atlantis Hotel
Atlantis Hotel

No comments:

Post a Comment