Saturday, January 5, 2013

Back to Dubai

Made it back to Dubai yesterday about 9:30am local time. Passport control is always a nerve racking moment for me, not that I really have a reason for being concerned at all. It's just that they have so much power it's crazy. Especially after hearing what happen to my friend when she wanted to leave. Well after waiting in line for at least 30 minutes I was finally up to the clerk, and he said you're a teacher, where? I told him my last school. (I still have my visa at this point, so that info is still legally relevant). I decided to make it to the 13:00 church service, so I drove all the way out there. Got back went to Subway (I have no food at the apartment), eat that and crashed. I hadn't slept in the last 24 hours do to my crazy flight times and time zone changes. So when I got up at 5:30 and it was dark out I thought it was only a few hours later so I went to the fridge and grabbed all I had which was a wine cooler and finished it pretty quick along with some chips. Well as I started to read I wondered why my e-reader said it was 6:30am. I checked my phone and it agreed 6:30am. So it turns out I slept for 12 hours straight, it wasn't 5:30pm when I got up it was 5:30am! So I drank at 6am for the first time in my life. Oh well I lived. I made it the the gym this morning at 9am for yoga and enjoyed one of my favorite yoga teachers for a killer power yoga class.
I also spent some time responding to emails and checking other possible job leads. Nothing really. Opened up a line of communication, through networking, with a superintendent with a local international school. They don't have any openings right now, so I wasn't able to make much of it, although she was really nice and helpful.
So I'm thinking I need to set a deadline for the job search before I just give up and return to Chicago. I can't live here forever without a job, just can't afford it. At least back home I can stay with mom for a while if I need to. Not sure what date to pick, but I'm thinking the date my apartment lease expires which is Jan 18th. That gives me about two weeks. If I renew my lease, I'll have to run to Oman to renew my visa as well. Not sure I can handle it here with no job for that long, again. I learned I can't even get substitute work with out a visa.
Assuming my last job pays me as they should I'll have enough money for two more months. I also have to keep in mind I need enough money to pay for my return flight to the US which is about $900.

No comments:

Post a Comment