Thursday, January 31, 2013

Returned to Chicago

Well as I suggested in the previous entries I have return home to go ole Chicago. Home forever, will probably always be my favorite city on the planet. I've been to a lot of places on the globe, several countries but there is just something about home that is special.

My time in Dubai was cut short, not by my doing but by the system. I did however learn a lot about their ways and culture. I also learned a lot about international education. It's sad that there is such a system of for profit schools that give so many a bad experience. I have learned though, that in the future I will need to do my homework before accepting a job overseas.

Dubai itself was an awesome experience. I made good friends, and really loved the gym I was part of.

This weekend I'm attending an international job fair, with the hopes of trying international teaching one more time. I have several schools selected, and hope to land something this weekend. With any luck I may even return to Dubai, or the Middle East. I'm also interested in Asia.

So either way I will be in the Chicago area until at least August. So time to find a temp job or maybe subbing jobs.

This closes the blog. I will start a new one with my next experience.

6 comments:

  1. Hello sir What is your opinion or your friends opinion about salary part for PG Level teachers in DUBAI?

    I just attended GEMS Interview , i heard that they pay around 6000 AED per month it seems.

    I need your suggestion.
    Myself ramanathan , done Post graduation in maths with B.Ed.
    Please mail me at callramanathan@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. 6000 AED is very low! It also depends though on your experience, and other benefits included in the package.

    For reference my fully furnished apartment in one of the cheapest parts of town was 3400 AED/mo, that's more than half your quoted pay.
    I'd say you'd need at least 10,000 AED PLUS either provided accommodation or accommodation allowance. I'm talking surviving salary, at 10,000 you'll be able to live and work there, not likely able to save any money, or have enough to send home at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi I’m a freshmen in an american university and I was wondering about working for an international school in the future. In your opinions what do you think would be the best subject to specialize in as a teacher? I’m currently thinking about pursuing EFL (English as a Foreign Language) but I’m seeing that many international schools are taught all in English or only accept English speaking students. What are the job outlooks for that subject area?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd say in Dubai, teaching English is probably not an easy job to find. You are correct almost everything is done in English including teaching in schools with the exception of Arabic and Islam. I haven't been there for about 4 years now, but when I went they hired math, science, computers (ICT) and humanities (we call it social studies here in the US)...some school have other special classes.

    If you are looking to teach English to non-native speakers check out other places in the middle east. There was a school in Saudi Arabia that called me a while back and wanted me to teach English. They offered me a very large salary! I have personal problems with the way women are treated in the KSA, so I didn't go.

    Good luck!
    John

    ReplyDelete
  5. There was a school in Saudi Arabia called me some time and I wanted to teach English. I was offered a large salary!
    Oxbridge Masters

    ReplyDelete


  6. My name is Leah Brown, I'm a happy woman today? I told myself that any loan lender that could change my life and that of my family after having been scammed separately by these online loan lenders, I will refer to anyone who is looking for loan for them. It gave me and my family happiness, although at first I had a hard time trusting him because of my experiences with past loan lenders, I needed a loan of $300,000.00 to start my life everywhere as single mother with 2 children, I met this honest and God fearing online loan lender Gain Credit Loan who helped me with a $300,000.00 loan, working with a loan company Good reputation. If you are in need of a loan and you are 100% sure of paying the loan please contact (gaincreditloan1@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete