Thursday, December 27, 2012

Jakarta - Day 1

While still employed a I planned and paid for a trip to Indonesia for a vacation.
I flew from Dubai, to Doha and finally to Jakarta, Indonesia! The flight went well and I was at my youth hostel by about 11pm local time (13 hours ahead of CST, and 3 hours ahead of GST/Dubai time). I went to bed pretty quickly, since I was tired from the flights and dealing with foreign airport people and their lack of English, I know this is a foreign country but it's still frustrating.
Any how, this morning I woke to others getting up and showering and such. I tried to stay in bed a bit longer, but I just wasn't sleeping so I got up about 10am. The hostel provides a basic breakfast for free so I had that. Then I was reading the wall in the hostel where they usually have activity ideas. So I went for #1 on the top 5 things to do in Jakarta. I took the train to Kota (old town or old city), it's a smallish area where there several museums and central plaza type area. I visited pretty much each place. Some were free, and the others were Rp. 5000 (or about 55 cents/USD). Took a ton of pictures...and saw a lot of history. Some old art, sculptures, computers, banking.... and an old, old almost Indian place with of very old art dedicated to the different gods.
Later on watched the street performers for a while, they really seemed to like using and hearing a whip.
Came back via the train, and ate across the street. Interesting to order off an Indonesian menu, with no English and a staff that only knows a few words of English. So I was ordering mostly blindly. Didn't seem to matter, it was good!

Those you on my Facebook, these are the same pictures: (there are a lot, page may load slowly)




















































































































































No comments:

Post a Comment